What to Know About Making a Personal Website
Today, while everyone may be online in some way, most people actually don’t have a personal website — which is exactly the reason you should consider making one. Here’s everything you need to know about creating a personal website.
1. Who should create a personal website?
Considering only a small portion of our generation has personal websites, you should make one. As a college student or recent college grad, having a personal website can be a real asset when applying to jobs or starting to plan your future.
2. What should you put on your personal website?
The first thing that you should put on your personal website is a well-written bio or summary about you, your accomplishments, your goals, and why people should notice you.
The second thing you should figure out is what your message is. What do you want someone looking at your site to take away? Who’s your target audience? What are you trying to say?
These questions are important to consider when you’re writing your bio and thinking about making a personal website. If you don’t have a message or purpose to your website, your audience will be able to tell and your making a personal website is pretty much pointless.
Thirdly, you want to decide on the logistics. What do you want your personal website to look like? What will your content say? What site should you use? You’ll want to be sure your website has no typos, that your page isn’t too crowded, and that your overall design and content are mature and project the right message.
Lastly, you should include links to or samples of your work — whether it’s photography, writing, videography, or something else, include pictures of you doing what you love and what you’re good at — and the pictures should be somewhat professional, not just a bunch of selfies.
3. Why should you have a personal website?
There are several reasons why making your own website is important. Firstly, it sets you apart from your competition — since most people don’t have a website, your having one makes you stand out. Secondly, it will make it easier to contact you as your site will include links to your social media accounts and other means of communication that work best for you, all in one place.
Thirdly, having a personal website shows you’re serious about networking and getting a job, plus it shows initiative, creativity, and that you’re technologically savvy. Lastly, your personal website is a great place to publish your creative works in one place, like an online portfolio.
4. How can I build a personal website for free?
There are lots of free sites you can use to build your own personal website. Tumblr is easy to use and allows you to pick your theme, plus it’s completely free though it does include advertisements. Also, if you’re part of the Tumblr community, having a Tumblr website means you can easily share or comment on other users’ postings.
Weebly is another good site to use to design your own personal website as it allows you more customization options than Tumblr and no ads. It’s easy to use and the basic service is free.
WordPress is a great platform to use when building your personal website as it offers a more advanced set of blogging options, plus over 200 themes to choose from or the ability to customize your design. WordPress is free for basic use, with fees for extra features.
If you’re really serious about building your personal website, you may want to look into other more customizable and advanced options, especially if you’re more tech-savvy. If you’re super knowledgable about coding and such, you may even choose to build your personal website from the ground up independently.
Once you’ve built your site and added your content, links, and pictures to it, get a second opinion, like a friend or family member to look at your personal website, and ask them for feedback.
There’s no better time for you to create your website than summer, when you’ve got plenty of free time to explore your site options, write up your content, and start posting. Your personal website is only clicks away!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Business Articles
Recent Ohio State News Articles
RECENT OHIO STATE CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeOhio State UniversityCase Western Reserve UniversityUniversity of CincinnatiKent State UniversityMiami University - OxfordOhio UniversityUniversity of AkronBowling Green State UniversityCleveland State UniversityUniversity of ToledoWright State UniversityUniversity of DaytonYoungstown State UniversityColumbus State Community CollegeAntioch UniversityDenison UniversityDeVry ColumbusShawnee State UniversityOhio Wesleyan UniversityOhio Northern UniversityColumbus College of Art & DesignSinclair Community CollegeOtterbein CollegeUniversity of Northwestern OhioOberlin CollegeOwens Community CollegeAshland UniversityBaldwin-Wallace CollegeBluffton UniversityCapital UniversityCedarville UniversityCentral State UniversityCincinnati Christian UniversityCollege of Mount St. JosephEdison Community CollegeFranciscan University of SteubenvilleFranklin UniversityHeidelberg CollegeHiram CollegeJohn Carroll UniversityKent State University SalemKenyon CollegeLourdes CollegeMalone UniversityMarietta CollegeMiami University HamiltonMiami University MiddletownMount Union CollegeMount Vernon Nazarene UniversityMuskingum CollegeNotre Dame CollegeOhio Dominican UniversityOhio State University at LimaOhio State University at MansfieldOhio State University at MarionOhio State University-Newark CampusOhio University-ChillicotheOhio University-LancasterOhio University-SouthernOhio University-ZanesvilleThe College of WoosterThe University of FindlayTiffin UniversityUnion Institute & UniversityUniversity of Cincinnati-Raymond Walters CollegeUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of Toledo Health Science CampusUrbana UniversityUrsuline CollegeWalsh UniversityWilmington CollegeWittenberg UniversityXavier UniversityCincinnati State Technical and Community CollegeClark State Community CollegeHocking CollegeNortheastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and PharmacyCuyahoga Community CollegeLakeland Community CollegeCuyahoga Community College-WestshoreEastern Gateway Community CollegeLorain County Community CollegeMarion Technical College North Central State CollegeNorthwest State Community CollegeRhodes State CollegeSouthern State Community CollegeTerra State Community College Washington State Community CollegeZane State College
- By State
- By City