How to Be Successful at the Career Fair
Here are some tips to help you knock that first impression out of the park.
1. Prepare and double-check (and triple-check, quadruple-check, etc.) your resume for errors
The last thing you want an employer to see is that you’re an “Englsih major,” or you “helped a company boost there sales by 15 percent.”
Spellcheck and grammar checks are extremely important! Make sure your job experiences go in order from most recent to oldest. Most importantly, try to stick to the one-page rule. The resume should be a snapshot of your experiences, not your autobiography.
2. Prepare an introduction
Introduce yourself by saying your name, major, and what you are looking for. In some cases, an elevator speech will work just fine. An elevator speech is basically a short speech about yourself that you can say to someone within the time it takes to get to another floor on the elevator.
3. Dress to impress
Don’t show up like you just rolled out of bed; sweatpants won’t do for today. The best way to go is to dress business professional. That means a blazer with dress pants, or a blazer with a dress and stockings for girls, and a dress shirt and tie with dress pants for guys. Don’t forget the dress shoes! Little black heels usually work just fine for the girls!
4. Be confident and independent
This isn’t a club or a bar — try to leave the friends at home. It’s not a group event, this is your time to shine and wow those employers. Stand out from the crowd, and remember to smile, and make eye contact!
5. Be open to companies you have never heard of
Just talk to them! You may miss out on an amazing opportunity. Besides, sometimes the name brands aren’t the best quality.
6. Take the free things (seriously)
Take those pens, bags, USB cords, and post-it pads. Employers are happy to see those things going to good use, and besides, who can’t use an extra pen?!
Best of luck, and if you don’t get the first job you apply for, keep trying! Something is out there — trust the timing of your life!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
OHIO STATE INTERNSHIPS LISTINGSSee all OHIO STATE Internships Listings
OHIO STATE Internships Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeOhio State UniversityCase Western Reserve UniversityUniversity of CincinnatiKent State UniversityMiami University - OxfordOhio UniversityUniversity of AkronBowling Green State UniversityCleveland State UniversityUniversity of ToledoWright State UniversityUniversity of DaytonYoungstown State UniversityColumbus State Community CollegeAntioch UniversityDenison UniversityDeVry ColumbusShawnee State UniversityOhio Wesleyan UniversityOhio Northern UniversityColumbus College of Art & DesignSinclair Community CollegeOtterbein CollegeUniversity of Northwestern OhioOberlin CollegeOwens Community CollegeAshland UniversityBaldwin-Wallace CollegeBluffton UniversityCapital UniversityCedarville UniversityCentral State UniversityCincinnati Christian UniversityCollege of Mount St. JosephEdison Community CollegeFranciscan University of SteubenvilleFranklin UniversityHeidelberg CollegeHiram CollegeJohn Carroll UniversityKent State University SalemKenyon CollegeLourdes CollegeMalone UniversityMarietta CollegeMiami University HamiltonMiami University MiddletownMount Union CollegeMount Vernon Nazarene UniversityMuskingum CollegeNotre Dame CollegeOhio Dominican UniversityOhio State University at LimaOhio State University at MansfieldOhio State University at MarionOhio State University-Newark CampusOhio University-ChillicotheOhio University-LancasterOhio University-SouthernOhio University-ZanesvilleThe College of WoosterThe University of FindlayTiffin UniversityUnion Institute & UniversityUniversity of Cincinnati-Raymond Walters CollegeUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of Toledo Health Science CampusUrbana UniversityUrsuline CollegeWalsh UniversityWilmington CollegeWittenberg UniversityXavier UniversityCincinnati State Technical and Community CollegeClark State Community CollegeHocking CollegeNortheastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and PharmacyCuyahoga Community CollegeLakeland Community CollegeCuyahoga Community College-WestshoreEastern Gateway Community CollegeLorain County Community CollegeMarion Technical College North Central State CollegeNorthwest State Community CollegeRhodes State CollegeSouthern State Community CollegeTerra State Community College Washington State Community CollegeZane State College
- By State
- By City