The Road to Success: 7 Tips From Successful People
When we see successful people, we often wonder, What are their secrets? How do they accomplish such amazing things?
Well, I’ve researched what some successful people have done. So read on and check out their WOWs (Words of Wisdom)!
1. Take action on your dreams
“Don’t wait. The time will never be just right.” — Napoleon Hill
Whether it’s crushes or classes, you won’t achieve your goals just by sitting around. So start working toward what you want right NOW. Or okay, maybe after you finish reading this article!
2. Spoiler alert: it’s okay to fail
“There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure.” — Colin Powell
Right on point. Don’t be afraid of failure, because hey, it’s a part of success! So if you fail, get back up. Try, try, and try again till you make it! Perseverance is key to success.
3. Believe in yourself. Be you.
“Whether you think you can or you think you can’t, you’re right.” – Henry Ford
The first time I read that quote, I was struck by its power. I mean, it’s amazing what people can do when they really believe in themselves.
Take Sylvester Stallone, for example. He was born with a partially paralyzed face and talked with a slur. But he dreamt of becoming an actor! Does any movie company want to hire him? Not at first. He slept for weeks at a bus terminal because he became so broke pursuing his dream. He had to part with his dog, selling it for $50 — the lowest point of his life. Yet he believed in himself. Eventually, he starred in the movie he wrote himself, Rocky, which was a big hit. Plus, the newly successful actor bought his dog back! A happy ending indeed.
Of course, not all of us have that kind of dramatic life story, but you get the point: believe in yourself!
4. Aim high
“You must expect great things of yourself before you can do them.” – Michael Jordan
Yup, let’s aim higher than that 324 meter Eiffel Tower, shoot for the far-far away moon, and dream big! Don’t set the bar too low.
If you aim high, say, all A’s in your subjects, you’ll probably get a mix of A’s and B’s. But if you set the bar too low, say, pass all subjects, you’ll risk failing some.
That’s why big goals are important!
5. Get out of your comfort zone
“You miss 100 percent of the shots you don’t take.” – Wayne Gretzky
Woah, scary but true. We’ve all been forced outside of our comfort zones at some point: being the newbie in a room, or giving a presentation in class. Those moments that elicit butterflies in our stomachs? Nope. Not pleasant.
But if we want to grow and succeed (and who doesn’t?), casting our fears aside is necessary. Plus, when you are fearless, life is more exciting! So try new things: join clubs and organizations in college, take up a leadership position, sign up for a trapeze class … whatever’s challenging!
6. Be curious
“Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only the cat died nobly.” – Arnold Edinborough
Travel, ask questions, be genuinely interested in people, and most importantly, read. Read like the noble cat above.
I know, those 357-page school textbooks we’re forced to plow through aren’t a page-turner — they make some of us hate reading. And if you’re one of those people, trust me, you’re missing out a LOT.
All successful people read. In fact, some read books at a crazy rate — like Warren Buffet, who read between 600 and 1,000 pages daily. Wow.
7. The bottom line
As professional footballer Pelé puts it:
“Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice, and most of all, love of what you are doing.”
So, to all of us college students, here’s to striving for excellence! Good luck!
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent Ohio State News Articles
OHIO STATE Housing Listings
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeOhio State UniversityCase Western Reserve UniversityUniversity of CincinnatiKent State UniversityMiami University - OxfordOhio UniversityUniversity of AkronBowling Green State UniversityCleveland State UniversityUniversity of ToledoWright State UniversityUniversity of DaytonYoungstown State UniversityColumbus State Community CollegeAntioch UniversityDenison UniversityDeVry ColumbusShawnee State UniversityOhio Wesleyan UniversityOhio Northern UniversityColumbus College of Art & DesignSinclair Community CollegeOtterbein CollegeUniversity of Northwestern OhioOberlin CollegeOwens Community CollegeAshland UniversityBaldwin-Wallace CollegeBluffton UniversityCapital UniversityCedarville UniversityCentral State UniversityCincinnati Christian UniversityCollege of Mount St. JosephEdison Community CollegeFranciscan University of SteubenvilleFranklin UniversityHeidelberg CollegeHiram CollegeJohn Carroll UniversityKent State University SalemKenyon CollegeLourdes CollegeMalone UniversityMarietta CollegeMiami University HamiltonMiami University MiddletownMount Union CollegeMount Vernon Nazarene UniversityMuskingum CollegeNotre Dame CollegeOhio Dominican UniversityOhio State University at LimaOhio State University at MansfieldOhio State University at MarionOhio State University-Newark CampusOhio University-ChillicotheOhio University-LancasterOhio University-SouthernOhio University-ZanesvilleThe College of WoosterThe University of FindlayTiffin UniversityUnion Institute & UniversityUniversity of Cincinnati-Raymond Walters CollegeUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of Toledo Health Science CampusUrbana UniversityUrsuline CollegeWalsh UniversityWilmington CollegeWittenberg UniversityXavier UniversityCincinnati State Technical and Community CollegeClark State Community CollegeHocking CollegeNortheastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and PharmacyCuyahoga Community CollegeLakeland Community CollegeCuyahoga Community College-WestshoreEastern Gateway Community CollegeLorain County Community CollegeMarion Technical College North Central State CollegeNorthwest State Community CollegeRhodes State CollegeSouthern State Community CollegeTerra State Community College Washington State Community CollegeZane State College
- By State
- By City