Hype and History behind the Mirror Lake Jump
Every year, approximately 12,000 Ohio State students jump into Mirror Lake during the week before the football game with their intense rivals, the Michigan Wolverines. This year’s jump is already gaining popularity, with over 3,300 people having RSVP’ed on Facebook, even though there are still over two months until the event! Anyone who doesn’t go to Ohio State may ask “Why the h*** would you jump into a freezing lake for fun?” Well, let me tell you how the tradition came to be.
In the year 1990, members of the “Best D*** Band in the Land” led just under 100 Ohio State students around campus in a traditional parade. This parade ended at Mirror Lake. It was then that this relatively small group of students spontaneously decided to make the first jump in honor of Buckeye victory. Little did they know– they were starting a tradition that would hold strong and grow exponentially for over twenty years.
In the past, students have also used jumping in Mirror Lake as a celebration for much bigger things than victory over Michigan. On May 1st, 2011, there was a spontaneous jump to show patriotism when it was announced that Osama Bin Laden had been killed. This was announced at 11:30 p.m, so the event was put together hastily, but it was successful nonetheless.
The Mirror Lake Jump is definitely something that every Ohio State student should participate in at least one year of their college career. Despite the risks involved, the jump is a great way to feel connected to this great school of ours. There may be times when Ohio State can make you feel like just a number, but the Mirror Lake Jump allows us to come together as a student body and feel united before playing our rivals. So, if you can, get involved in an Ohio State tradition that you will remember for the rest of your life!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent Ohio State News Articles
RECENT OHIO STATE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP OHIO STATE NEWS
- 5 Tips to Find a Seasonal Job in College
- Setting Goals: How Do You Figure Out What Test Score Is Enough (And...
- No Professors Allowed: New App Offers Student-Exclusive Platform
- 5 Credit Card Myths You Shouldn’t Believe
- 5 Tips to Find a Seasonal Job in College
- National Parks: A Celebration of Beauty Pt. 3
- College Clichés: Investigating the Truth Behind These Common Adages
MOST POPULAR OHIO STATE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAntioch UniversityAshland UniversityBaldwin-Wallace CollegeBluffton UniversityBowling Green State UniversityCapital UniversityCase Western Reserve UniversityCedarville UniversityCentral State UniversityCincinnati Christian UniversityCincinnati State Technical and Community CollegeClark State Community CollegeCleveland State UniversityCollege of Mount St. JosephColumbus College of Art & DesignColumbus State Community CollegeCuyahoga Community CollegeCuyahoga Community College-WestshoreDenison UniversityDeVry ColumbusEastern Gateway Community CollegeEdison Community CollegeFranciscan University of SteubenvilleFranklin UniversityHeidelberg CollegeHiram CollegeHocking CollegeJohn Carroll UniversityKent State UniversityKent State University SalemKenyon CollegeLakeland Community CollegeLorain County Community CollegeLourdes CollegeMalone UniversityMarietta CollegeMarion Technical College Miami University - OxfordMiami University HamiltonMiami University MiddletownMount Union CollegeMount Vernon Nazarene UniversityMuskingum CollegeNorth Central State CollegeNortheastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and PharmacyNorthwest State Community CollegeNotre Dame CollegeOberlin CollegeOhio Dominican UniversityOhio Northern UniversityOhio StateOhio State University at LimaOhio State University at MansfieldOhio State University at MarionOhio State University-Newark CampusOhio UniversityOhio University-ChillicotheOhio University-LancasterOhio University-SouthernOhio University-ZanesvilleOhio Wesleyan UniversityOtterbein CollegeOwens Community CollegeRhodes State CollegeShawnee State UniversitySinclair Community CollegeSouthern State Community CollegeTerra State Community College The College of WoosterThe University of FindlayTiffin UniversityUnion Institute & UniversityUniversity of AkronUniversity of CincinnatiUniversity of Cincinnati-Raymond Walters CollegeUniversity of DaytonUniversity of Northwestern OhioUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of ToledoUniversity of Toledo Health Science CampusUrbana UniversityUrsuline CollegeWalsh UniversityWashington State Community CollegeWilmington CollegeWittenberg UniversityWright State UniversityXavier UniversityYoungstown State UniversityZane State College
- By State
- By City