Hype and History behind the Mirror Lake Jump
Every year, approximately 12,000 Ohio State students jump into Mirror Lake during the week before the football game with their intense rivals, the Michigan Wolverines. This year’s jump is already gaining popularity, with over 3,300 people having RSVP’ed on Facebook, even though there are still over two months until the event! Anyone who doesn’t go to Ohio State may ask “Why the h*** would you jump into a freezing lake for fun?” Well, let me tell you how the tradition came to be.
In the year 1990, members of the “Best D*** Band in the Land” led just under 100 Ohio State students around campus in a traditional parade. This parade ended at Mirror Lake. It was then that this relatively small group of students spontaneously decided to make the first jump in honor of Buckeye victory. Little did they know– they were starting a tradition that would hold strong and grow exponentially for over twenty years.
In the past, students have also used jumping in Mirror Lake as a celebration for much bigger things than victory over Michigan. On May 1st, 2011, there was a spontaneous jump to show patriotism when it was announced that Osama Bin Laden had been killed. This was announced at 11:30 p.m, so the event was put together hastily, but it was successful nonetheless.
The Mirror Lake Jump is definitely something that every Ohio State student should participate in at least one year of their college career. Despite the risks involved, the jump is a great way to feel connected to this great school of ours. There may be times when Ohio State can make you feel like just a number, but the Mirror Lake Jump allows us to come together as a student body and feel united before playing our rivals. So, if you can, get involved in an Ohio State tradition that you will remember for the rest of your life!
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
Recent Ohio State News Articles
RECENT OHIO STATE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP OHIO STATE NEWS
- College: A Freshman Perspective
- Biggest Studying Distractions for Students and How to Avoid Them
- The Best Sports (By Type of Ball Used)
- How to Know When You're Too Stressed at School
- The Nine Circles of FSU Hell
- Why It's Totally Okay For Guys to Dress More Feminine
- Possible Mars Mission Announcement Coming Soon
MOST POPULAR OHIO STATE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeOhio StateCase Western Reserve UniversityUniversity of CincinnatiKent State UniversityMiami University-OxfordOhio UniversityUniversity of AkronBowling Green State UniversityCleveland State UniversityUniversity of ToledoWright State UniversityUniversity of DaytonYoungstown State UniversityColumbus State Community CollegeAntioch UniversityDenison UniversityDeVry ColumbusShawnee State UniversityOhio Wesleyan UniversityOhio Northern UniversityColumbus College of Art & DesignSinclair Community CollegeOtterbein CollegeUniversity of Northwestern OhioOberlin CollegeOwens Community CollegeAshland UniversityBaldwin-Wallace CollegeBluffton UniversityCapital UniversityCedarville UniversityCentral State UniversityCincinnati Christian UniversityCollege of Mount St. JosephEdison Community CollegeFranciscan University of SteubenvilleFranklin UniversityHeidelberg CollegeHiram CollegeJohn Carroll UniversityKent State University SalemKenyon CollegeLourdes CollegeMalone UniversityMarietta CollegeMiami University HamiltonMiami University MiddletownMount Union CollegeMount Vernon Nazarene UniversityMuskingum CollegeNotre Dame CollegeOhio Dominican UniversityOhio State University at LimaOhio State University at MansfieldOhio State University at MarionOhio State University-Newark CampusOhio University-ChillicotheOhio University-LancasterOhio University-SouthernOhio University-ZanesvilleThe College of WoosterThe University of FindlayTiffin UniversityUnion Institute & UniversityUniversity of Cincinnati-Raymond Walters CollegeUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of Toledo Health Science CampusUrbana UniversityUrsuline CollegeWalsh UniversityWilmington CollegeWittenberg UniversityXavier UniversityCincinnati State Technical and Community CollegeClark State Community CollegeHocking CollegeNortheastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and PharmacyCuyahoga Community CollegeLakeland Community CollegeCuyahoga Community College-WestshoreEastern Gateway Community CollegeLorain County Community CollegeMarion Technical College North Central State CollegeNorthwest State Community CollegeRhodes State CollegeSouthern State Community CollegeTerra State Community College Washington State Community CollegeZane State College
- By State
- By City