Why You Should Have Voted Libertarian
Tired of the social injustices of the Republican Party? Frustrated by the intrusive and anti-business economic policies of the Democratic Party? If you answered YES to both of these issues, you may be a secret Libertarian–you’ve just never known the right label.
The Libertarian Party, the third largest political party in the United States, adheres to the slogan, “Free Minds and Free Markets.” To remedy our current political problems, Libertarians propose the implementation of a free-market economy and a consistent dedication to personal freedoms. Here are the Libertarian standpoints on some of the key issues:
Taxes: Despite not having universal support within the party, most Libertarians are staunch supporters of the FairTax. The plan would first eliminate all federal income taxes and payroll taxes. To keep the government revenue-neutral, the FairTax raises the amount of sales tax (a “consumption tax”) to 23% across the board. This may seem like an unappealing idea at first glance, but hear me out: Because businesses do not have to spend so much money on input taxes to create their goods, they can sell them for a lower base price. Add on the higher sales tax rate and the price of goods will essentially be the same. So why change anything? The removal of income taxes allows consumers to keep all the wages they earn, providing them with more money to spend. Also, shifting to a consumption-based tax system makes taxing entirely voluntary: if you don’t want to be taxed, don’t buy that product. Instead of an income tax that punishes productivity, consumption taxes provide both individuals and businesses with more incentive to work hard.
I encourage you to look into this plan in greater detail. There are many other beneficial aspects of this proposed plan. For example, the sales tax would only apply to new items, monthly prebate checks would be given out to households, and price tags would be all-inclusive, meaning that taxes will already be incorporated into the displayed price and there will be no surprises at the cash register.
Economy: As displayed by their relatively forward-thinking tax policy, Libertarians advocate as little government involvement in the markets as possible, but still recognize it as a necessary evil with valid functions. Their general mantra recognizes that the free markets can do a much better job allocating resources than the government. The government, therefore, exists to maintain public order through enforcement of private property and contract laws.
Civil Liberties: Freedom and equality are supposed to be defining features of the United States, yet some still attempt to deny equal rights to homosexual couples and censor materials they deem inappropriate. Libertarians are advocates of gay marriage and are against government censorship, believing in unrestricted freedom of speech. In addition, Libertarians believe that abortion should only be banned after the first trimester and that marijuana should be legalized, taxed and regulated instead of criminalized. Social beliefs generally fall in line with those of the Democratic Party.
Foreign Policy: Following a pacifist philosophy, Libertarians place more focus on trade and preventing war; their non-interventionist military policies work to avoid negative relationships with other countries. Any nation would hate to have foreign armies on its soil–therefore, the removal of all troops from the Middle East is the best anti-terrorism insurance. While accused of being isolationist, Libertarians counter that stopping attacks on other countries to foster better relations is exactly the opposite of isolationism. To better grasp the premise of Libertarian foreign policy, watch this video.
Remember that every political party has its advantages and disadvantages, so do your own research and find reliable sources. Be skeptical and educate yourself.
Read more about Libertarianism at http://www.lp.org/.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Politics Articles
Recent Ohio State News Articles
RECENT OHIO STATE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP OHIO STATE NEWS
- 5 Issues You May Run Into On Move-In Day
- Are You A Smoker? You're Making $10K Less A Year
- Atom Tickets Helps Bring "Nerve" Back To Theaters With $5 Tickets
- We Need More Than Awareness
- FSU Trailblazer: Mia Hartley
- The Rest Cure: A Look Back on Women's Treatment of Mental Health
- Joss Whedon Wants You To Vote
MOST POPULAR OHIO STATE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAntioch UniversityAshland UniversityBaldwin-Wallace CollegeBluffton UniversityBowling Green State UniversityCapital UniversityCase Western Reserve UniversityCedarville UniversityCentral State UniversityCincinnati Christian UniversityCincinnati State Technical and Community CollegeClark State Community CollegeCleveland State UniversityCollege of Mount St. JosephColumbus College of Art & DesignColumbus State Community CollegeCuyahoga Community CollegeCuyahoga Community College-WestshoreDenison UniversityDeVry ColumbusEastern Gateway Community CollegeEdison Community CollegeFranciscan University of SteubenvilleFranklin UniversityHeidelberg CollegeHiram CollegeHocking CollegeJohn Carroll UniversityKent State UniversityKent State University SalemKenyon CollegeLakeland Community CollegeLorain County Community CollegeLourdes CollegeMalone UniversityMarietta CollegeMarion Technical College Miami University - OxfordMiami University HamiltonMiami University MiddletownMount Union CollegeMount Vernon Nazarene UniversityMuskingum CollegeNorth Central State CollegeNortheastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and PharmacyNorthwest State Community CollegeNotre Dame CollegeOberlin CollegeOhio Dominican UniversityOhio Northern UniversityOhio StateOhio State University at LimaOhio State University at MansfieldOhio State University at MarionOhio State University-Newark CampusOhio UniversityOhio University-ChillicotheOhio University-LancasterOhio University-SouthernOhio University-ZanesvilleOhio Wesleyan UniversityOtterbein CollegeOwens Community CollegeRhodes State CollegeShawnee State UniversitySinclair Community CollegeSouthern State Community CollegeTerra State Community College The College of WoosterThe University of FindlayTiffin UniversityUnion Institute & UniversityUniversity of AkronUniversity of CincinnatiUniversity of Cincinnati-Raymond Walters CollegeUniversity of DaytonUniversity of Northwestern OhioUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of ToledoUniversity of Toledo Health Science CampusUrbana UniversityUrsuline CollegeWalsh UniversityWashington State Community CollegeWilmington CollegeWittenberg UniversityWright State UniversityXavier UniversityYoungstown State UniversityZane State College
- By State
- By City