Why Everyone Should Be a Telemarketer
You may be extremely confused by title of this article, but I have had a week-long experience doing the unthinkable. As a college kid trying to stay afloat, I’ve been taking advantage of any way to earn a few dollars here and there.
A recent opportunity for me was to be a caller for an organization promoting a particular presidential candidate. No one likes a telemarketer, but I couldn’t say no to the hourly rate and it seemed simple enough, reading from a script.
They gave me a phone, and I dialed in. It’s amazing how humbling this experience truly was. I spoke with all ends of the spectrum in regards to humanity. I experienced some of the rudest and inconsiderate people, but those who took the time to listen to me were very patient and somewhat appreciative.
I was shocked at how comfortable people were with being rude on the phone. I can’t imagine a single person speaking with such tone and ridiculous hate words to me in person. I was allowed to put in up to 40 hours a week, but I ended up logging a total of around 10. To make a job sound dramatic, it was emotionally draining.
This experience gave me an eye-opening realization. Every time there is a telemarketer that calls the house, we are speaking with a real person–a person just like me–on the other side. They make a living by spending their days on a phone most likely being hung up on all day. If that is not extremely humbling, I don’t know what is.
The reason I say everyone should be a telemarketer for a short time is to open their eyes to the human that sits on the other side of the conversation. Telemarketers have to be extremely resilient, confident, and okay with rejection all of the time. It wouldn’t be hard to simply say “no thank you” as opposed to cussing them out or violently hanging up on them.
I get it, they are annoying. I could not agree more. The fact, however, is they exist (and probably will for a long time), so we might as well not let it ruin our days, or ruin the days of those who have to deal with us.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Politics Articles
Recent Ohio State News Articles
RECENT OHIO STATE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP OHIO STATE NEWS
- 5 Issues You May Run Into On Move-In Day
- Are You A Smoker? You're Making $10K Less A Year
- Atom Tickets Helps Bring "Nerve" Back To Theaters With $5 Tickets
- The College Experience No One Talks About
- An Open Letter to My Strange Name
- Stuck On Campus? Here Are Fun Activities That Are Free For Students
- Let's Talk about the New Birth of a Nation Movie
MOST POPULAR OHIO STATE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAntioch UniversityAshland UniversityBaldwin-Wallace CollegeBluffton UniversityBowling Green State UniversityCapital UniversityCase Western Reserve UniversityCedarville UniversityCentral State UniversityCincinnati Christian UniversityCincinnati State Technical and Community CollegeClark State Community CollegeCleveland State UniversityCollege of Mount St. JosephColumbus College of Art & DesignColumbus State Community CollegeCuyahoga Community CollegeCuyahoga Community College-WestshoreDenison UniversityDeVry ColumbusEastern Gateway Community CollegeEdison Community CollegeFranciscan University of SteubenvilleFranklin UniversityHeidelberg CollegeHiram CollegeHocking CollegeJohn Carroll UniversityKent State UniversityKent State University SalemKenyon CollegeLakeland Community CollegeLorain County Community CollegeLourdes CollegeMalone UniversityMarietta CollegeMarion Technical College Miami University - OxfordMiami University HamiltonMiami University MiddletownMount Union CollegeMount Vernon Nazarene UniversityMuskingum CollegeNorth Central State CollegeNortheastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and PharmacyNorthwest State Community CollegeNotre Dame CollegeOberlin CollegeOhio Dominican UniversityOhio Northern UniversityOhio StateOhio State University at LimaOhio State University at MansfieldOhio State University at MarionOhio State University-Newark CampusOhio UniversityOhio University-ChillicotheOhio University-LancasterOhio University-SouthernOhio University-ZanesvilleOhio Wesleyan UniversityOtterbein CollegeOwens Community CollegeRhodes State CollegeShawnee State UniversitySinclair Community CollegeSouthern State Community CollegeTerra State Community College The College of WoosterThe University of FindlayTiffin UniversityUnion Institute & UniversityUniversity of AkronUniversity of CincinnatiUniversity of Cincinnati-Raymond Walters CollegeUniversity of DaytonUniversity of Northwestern OhioUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of ToledoUniversity of Toledo Health Science CampusUrbana UniversityUrsuline CollegeWalsh UniversityWashington State Community CollegeWilmington CollegeWittenberg UniversityWright State UniversityXavier UniversityYoungstown State UniversityZane State College
- By State
- By City