DIY: No Sew T-Shirt Blanket
I recently realized that I have a lot of memorabilia from high school. I also recently realized that I have collected an abundance of t-shirts from those four years. Since I’m moving on in life and going to college, I figured I should find a way to keep my high school memories without taking up space in my closet or completely throwing out my old t-shirts. So, I decided to make a no sew t-shirt blanket. It’s a lot heavier than I expected it to be, but I’m excited to take it with me to college. I used thirty-nine t-shirts and one sweatshirt to make mine, so now I have a lot more room in my closet. Haha. I just wanted to start to give you ideas on how you can preserve your physical high school memories without creating useless clutter. It’s also nice because I can continue to use those t-shirts that I would never wear again.
A quick tutorial:
1. Cut a 16in x 16in square from the t-shirt (trying to center the logo, but not going crazy with it).
2. Use a ruler and a marker to measure 2 inches away from each edge. Cut seven strips (eight cuts) into each of the four sides. This should give you seven strips of fabric on each side (28 in all), and the four corners should be in square or rectangular shaped strips.
3. Cut each of the corner strips in half, creating two triangles instead of one square strip (this makes them easier to tie together).
5. After you have cut up your shirts, tie the strips together. You can either choose to cut all of your shirts and then tie them all at once or tie them together as you get each one done (I chose the second method).
6. After you tie the strips together on one side, gently pull the fabric so the designs on your shirts won’t be shriveled up and tiny. Warning: you will hear a riping sound when you pull on the fabric. This is supposed to happen, and it will be fine as long as you pull gently.
7. Continue tying until you are satisfied. Like I mentioned earlier, my blanket is 4′ x 5′ and is double-sided. However, you have freedom to create your blanket in anyway you would like.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Fashion Articles
Recent Ohio State News Articles
RECENT OHIO STATE CLASSIFIEDS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP OHIO STATE NEWS
- What It's Like to Room With a Sibling
- How Law School Prepares You to Represent Others
- Styling Women: Wardrobes and Essentials
- 5 Wonderful Spots in NorCal
- How to Respond to Online Reviews of Your Apartment Complex
- Freshman Year Survival Guide
- How To Re-Do Your Application Process To Gear More Towards College...
MOST POPULAR OHIO STATE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeOhio StateCase Western Reserve UniversityUniversity of CincinnatiKent State UniversityMiami University-OxfordOhio UniversityUniversity of AkronBowling Green State UniversityCleveland State UniversityUniversity of ToledoWright State UniversityUniversity of DaytonYoungstown State UniversityColumbus State Community CollegeAntioch UniversityDenison UniversityDeVry ColumbusShawnee State UniversityOhio Wesleyan UniversityOhio Northern UniversityColumbus College of Art & DesignSinclair Community CollegeOtterbein CollegeUniversity of Northwestern OhioOberlin CollegeOwens Community CollegeAshland UniversityBaldwin-Wallace CollegeBluffton UniversityCapital UniversityCedarville UniversityCentral State UniversityCincinnati Christian UniversityCollege of Mount St. JosephEdison Community CollegeFranciscan University of SteubenvilleFranklin UniversityHeidelberg CollegeHiram CollegeJohn Carroll UniversityKent State University SalemKenyon CollegeLourdes CollegeMalone UniversityMarietta CollegeMiami University HamiltonMiami University MiddletownMount Union CollegeMount Vernon Nazarene UniversityMuskingum CollegeNotre Dame CollegeOhio Dominican UniversityOhio State University at LimaOhio State University at MansfieldOhio State University at MarionOhio State University-Newark CampusOhio University-ChillicotheOhio University-LancasterOhio University-SouthernOhio University-ZanesvilleThe College of WoosterThe University of FindlayTiffin UniversityUnion Institute & UniversityUniversity of Cincinnati-Raymond Walters CollegeUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of Toledo Health Science CampusUrbana UniversityUrsuline CollegeWalsh UniversityWilmington CollegeWittenberg UniversityXavier UniversityCincinnati State Technical and Community CollegeClark State Community CollegeHocking CollegeNortheastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and PharmacyCuyahoga Community CollegeLakeland Community CollegeCuyahoga Community College-WestshoreEastern Gateway Community CollegeLorain County Community CollegeMarion Technical College North Central State CollegeNorthwest State Community CollegeRhodes State CollegeSouthern State Community CollegeTerra State Community College Washington State Community CollegeZane State College
- By State
- By City