Will Punxsutawney Phil Live to See Groundhog Day 2014?
Punxsutawney Phil has gotten into some major trouble with Ohioans. On February 2nd each year, or Groundhog Day, the infamous “Punxsutawney Phil” comes out of his burrow on Gobbler’s Knob in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania to predict the weather. According to the legend we have been fed since we were kids, if Phil sees his shadow we will have six more weeks of winter, and if no shadow is to be seen then an early spring we are to enjoy.
But not this year.
On February 2nd, 2013, it seems that Phil made a huge mistake in his prediction, and some infuriated believers are not very pleased with the little guy. Punxsutawney Phil did not see his shadow on this day, meaning we should be enjoying light jackets and sunshine by this point. However, with a winter storm creeping up just around the corner, memes and pictures such as the one above are circulating the internet.
Michael Gmoser, the prosecuting attorney of Butler County, Ohio, has apparently filed an indictment against good ol’ Punxsutawney for his alleged lies about the early arrival of spring. The following is a copy of this indictment from an article entitled “Ohio seeks death penalty over groundhog’s weather-prediction fail” from msn.com:
STATE OF OHIO,
COUNTY OF BUTLER, SS:
ln the Year 2013
l, Michael T. Gmoser, the Prosecuting Attorney of this County, say by way of information that:
MISREPRESENTATION OF EARLY SPRING
On or about February 02, 2013, at Gobbler’s Knob, Punxsutawney Phil did purposely, and with prior calculation and design, cause the people to believe that Spring would come early. Contrary to the Groundhog Day report, a snowstorm and record low temperatures have been and are predicted to continue in the near future, which constitutes the offense of MISREPRESENTATION OF EARLY SPRING, a Unclassified Felony, and against the peace and dignity of the State Of Ohio.
SPECIFICATION: The people further find and specify that due to the aggravating circumstances and misrepresentation to the people that the death penalty be implemented to the defendant, Punxsutawney Phil.
The death penalty? Is this guy serious? Yes, you read that right. Here is a video of a news interview with Gmoser regarding his charges:
Will Phil really receive the death penalty? Is this the end of the legend we all know and (at least used to) love? Probably not, but this indictment will definitely go down in history for creativity.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Politics Articles
Recent Ohio State News Articles
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
RECENT OHIO STATE CLASSIFIEDS
TOP OHIO STATE NEWS
- 7 Must-See Classic Rock Bands On Tour
- As Told By A Californian: The Ohio State University
- The 10 Best Oscar Looks of All Time
- Why College Students Make the Best Part-Time Employees
- SparkNotes of Love: Relationship Tips from Iconic Love Stories
- Comedian Bob Saget to bring a Full House.
- 7 Must-See Classic Rock Bands On Tour
MOST POPULAR OHIO STATE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeOhio StateCase Western Reserve UniversityUniversity of CincinnatiKent State UniversityMiami University-OxfordOhio UniversityUniversity of AkronBowling Green State UniversityCleveland State UniversityUniversity of ToledoWright State UniversityUniversity of DaytonYoungstown State UniversityColumbus State Community CollegeAntioch UniversityDenison UniversityDeVry ColumbusShawnee State UniversityOhio Wesleyan UniversityOhio Northern UniversityColumbus College of Art & DesignSinclair Community CollegeOtterbein CollegeUniversity of Northwestern OhioOberlin CollegeOwens Community CollegeAshland UniversityBaldwin-Wallace CollegeBluffton UniversityCapital UniversityCedarville UniversityCentral State UniversityCincinnati Christian UniversityCollege of Mount St. JosephEdison Community CollegeFranciscan University of SteubenvilleFranklin UniversityHeidelberg CollegeHiram CollegeJohn Carroll UniversityKent State University SalemKenyon CollegeLourdes CollegeMalone UniversityMarietta CollegeMiami University HamiltonMiami University MiddletownMount Union CollegeMount Vernon Nazarene UniversityMuskingum CollegeNotre Dame CollegeOhio Dominican UniversityOhio State University at LimaOhio State University at MansfieldOhio State University at MarionOhio State University-Newark CampusOhio University-ChillicotheOhio University-LancasterOhio University-SouthernOhio University-ZanesvilleThe College of WoosterThe University of FindlayTiffin UniversityUnion Institute & UniversityUniversity of Cincinnati-Raymond Walters CollegeUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of Toledo Health Science CampusUrbana UniversityUrsuline CollegeWalsh UniversityWilmington CollegeWittenberg UniversityXavier UniversityCincinnati State Technical and Community CollegeClark State Community CollegeHocking CollegeNortheastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and PharmacyCuyahoga Community CollegeLakeland Community College
- By State
- By City