Kin-ball: Coming Soon to an RPAC Near You
From battleship and broomball to inner-tube water polo and wallyball, Ohio State is not short on creative intramural sports. All students are welcome and encouraged to participate in these entertaining activities. To add to the OSU intramural repertoire, a sport known as kin-ball will be coming next week to the RPAC.
- While kin-ball may be new to Ohio State, it has been around since 1986 when it was invented by physical education teacher Mario Demers.
- Also known as “Omnikin,” kin-ball is played with a huge ball and three teams of four members each, rather than the traditional two teams of other sports.
- According to the website kin-ball.com, the three team colors are:
- Pink, which represents “gender equality and fair representation of women, unification and victory over prejudice”
- Black, which represents the sport’s “increasing speed and caliber, race equality, as well as making refereeing easier and more precise”
- Grey, which represents “the galaxy, the future, the approaching Olympic games, unification, and communication.”
Kin-ball starts with one of the teams serving the ball. Three team members hold the ball, while the fourth member first yells “Omnikin,” followed by the color of one of the other teams, and then serves the ball by hitting it with both hands. The team called out must catch the ball and prevent it from touching the ground.
If the catch is successful, this team now serves the ball within 30 seconds to continue the game. If the ball is dropped, the other two teams are awarded a point, and the team that was supposed to catch the ball begins the round by serving the ball in the manner stated above.
While games can range from 7 to 15 minutes, all games played through OSU will last 12 minutes each and consist of three periods.
I think kin-ball is much more interesting to watch than to read about. Check out this video to see some clips of how kin-ball is played:
You can be a part of the first kin-ball game at OSU on Tuesday, April 9 at 7:15 and 8:15pm in the RPAC Tom W. Davis Gym. The second event will occur on Wednesday, April 17.
Check out this page to register for the inaugural kin-ball match:
Or not interested?
Kin-ball not your style? Take some time to explore the other intramural sports offered at OSU; there are plenty to choose from and there’s something for everyone. My personal favorite is battleship – what a great bonding experience among friends it is to be in the same boat (literally). Nothing says friendship like keeping your canoe from sinking. I am committed to participate in battleship before I graduate, and I hope you too will find something that piques your interest.
Apply to Write for Uloop NewsJoin the Uloop News Team
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Sports Articles
Recent Ohio State News Articles
RECENT OHIO STATE CLASSIFIEDS
WRITE FOR ULOOPApply to Write for Uloop News
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP 5 NEWS ARTICLES
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeOhio State UniversityCase Western Reserve UniversityUniversity of CincinnatiKent State UniversityMiami University - OxfordOhio UniversityUniversity of AkronBowling Green State UniversityCleveland State UniversityUniversity of ToledoWright State UniversityUniversity of DaytonYoungstown State UniversityColumbus State Community CollegeAntioch UniversityDenison UniversityDeVry ColumbusShawnee State UniversityOhio Wesleyan UniversityOhio Northern UniversityColumbus College of Art & DesignSinclair Community CollegeOtterbein CollegeUniversity of Northwestern OhioOberlin CollegeOwens Community CollegeAshland UniversityBaldwin-Wallace CollegeBluffton UniversityCapital UniversityCedarville UniversityCentral State UniversityCincinnati Christian UniversityCollege of Mount St. JosephEdison Community CollegeFranciscan University of SteubenvilleFranklin UniversityHeidelberg CollegeHiram CollegeJohn Carroll UniversityKent State University SalemKenyon CollegeLourdes CollegeMalone UniversityMarietta CollegeMiami University HamiltonMiami University MiddletownMount Union CollegeMount Vernon Nazarene UniversityMuskingum CollegeNotre Dame CollegeOhio Dominican UniversityOhio State University at LimaOhio State University at MansfieldOhio State University at MarionOhio State University-Newark CampusOhio University-ChillicotheOhio University-LancasterOhio University-SouthernOhio University-ZanesvilleThe College of WoosterThe University of FindlayTiffin UniversityUnion Institute & UniversityUniversity of Cincinnati-Raymond Walters CollegeUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of Toledo Health Science CampusUrbana UniversityUrsuline CollegeWalsh UniversityWilmington CollegeWittenberg UniversityXavier UniversityCincinnati State Technical and Community CollegeClark State Community CollegeHocking CollegeNortheastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and PharmacyCuyahoga Community CollegeLakeland Community CollegeCuyahoga Community College-WestshoreEastern Gateway Community CollegeLorain County Community CollegeMarion Technical College North Central State CollegeNorthwest State Community CollegeRhodes State CollegeSouthern State Community CollegeTerra State Community College Washington State Community CollegeZane State College
- By State
- By City