Tips for Organizing Your First Apartment
Moving from a dorm room to an apartment is a large project. When you live in the dorms, your space is usually very limited, you share a bathroom with numerous other students and you cannot put nails in or paint your walls.
An apartment offers freedom for creation; there are more rooms to decorate and to personalize. It is easy to take advantage of the sudden increase in space that comes with an apartment; however, it is important to keep organized.
Here are some organizational tools my roommate and I came up with that we have found very useful.
The Living Room
Your living room will be your main guest entertaining area, so organization is important in keeping things tidy.
My roommate and I hang our keys on hooks by our front door; this way we are sure to know where they are at all times.
We keep our mail divided in a desk organizer by the door as well. Living in an apartment means starting to keep track of bills, and this keeps our bills and important documents in one place.
To keep postcards and other important cards in one spot, we hung up a piece of twine between two pictures hanging on our wall. Not only is this useful, but it also adds a decorative element to our living room.
Now that you have your own kitchen, you will want to keep it organized and user-friendly.
We use small kitchen shelves to organize our bowls and plates, and a desk organizer (seen on the top shelf in the picture) to organize our Tupperware lids.
If you are not looking to buy any containers, use what you have. We keep some of our cooking utensils in an empty metal can.
In terms of other storage spaces, we utilize numerous metal shelving units such as these.
One of the best things about moving into an apartment is no longer sharing a bathroom with countless people.
Because bathrooms can be pretty small in apartments, a shower curtain such as this has proved very helpful to us. We can keep our shower items in the mesh pockets, which frees up more space around the tub. Click this link to purchase the curtain pictured below or to view other options.
For closets, hanging shoe organizers come in handy for storage. You can store items like household cleaners in these.
Even if you are still sharing a bedroom in your new place, it is easy to organize your room using plastic containers or cardboard boxes. I keep my school supplies in a container under my bed.
You may already have one of these from your dorm room, but if not, look into this closet space saver. I bought mine at Wal-Mart. I keep hats, shoes and swimwear in my closet organizer; this frees up my closet shelf and drawer space.
For more ideas about organizing your apartment, check out Pinterest; you will find a lot of cool organizational ideas as well as DIY projects on this site.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
Discuss This Article
More Uloop Campus Life Articles
OHIO STATE HOUSING LISTINGSSee all OHIO STATE Housing Listings
OHIO STATE Housing Listings
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
TOP OHIO STATE NEWS
- Setting Goals: How Do You Figure Out What Test Score Is Enough (And...
- No Professors Allowed: New App Offers Student-Exclusive Platform
- 5 Credit Card Myths You Shouldn’t Believe
- 5 Palatable Options In and Around USC
- How to Land an Internship: A Few Tips and Tricks
- Exclusive Interview with Ghostlight Director Thomas Gallogly!
- How to Make Online Jobs Appealing to College Students
MOST POPULAR OHIO STATE NEWS
BROWSE OTHER COLLEGES
- By CollegeAntioch UniversityAshland UniversityBaldwin-Wallace CollegeBluffton UniversityBowling Green State UniversityCapital UniversityCase Western Reserve UniversityCedarville UniversityCentral State UniversityCincinnati Christian UniversityCincinnati State Technical and Community CollegeClark State Community CollegeCleveland State UniversityCollege of Mount St. JosephColumbus College of Art & DesignColumbus State Community CollegeCuyahoga Community CollegeCuyahoga Community College-WestshoreDenison UniversityDeVry ColumbusEastern Gateway Community CollegeEdison Community CollegeFranciscan University of SteubenvilleFranklin UniversityHeidelberg CollegeHiram CollegeHocking CollegeJohn Carroll UniversityKent State UniversityKent State University SalemKenyon CollegeLakeland Community CollegeLorain County Community CollegeLourdes CollegeMalone UniversityMarietta CollegeMarion Technical College Miami University - OxfordMiami University HamiltonMiami University MiddletownMount Union CollegeMount Vernon Nazarene UniversityMuskingum CollegeNorth Central State CollegeNortheastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine and PharmacyNorthwest State Community CollegeNotre Dame CollegeOberlin CollegeOhio Dominican UniversityOhio Northern UniversityOhio StateOhio State University at LimaOhio State University at MansfieldOhio State University at MarionOhio State University-Newark CampusOhio UniversityOhio University-ChillicotheOhio University-LancasterOhio University-SouthernOhio University-ZanesvilleOhio Wesleyan UniversityOtterbein CollegeOwens Community CollegeRhodes State CollegeShawnee State UniversitySinclair Community CollegeSouthern State Community CollegeTerra State Community College The College of WoosterThe University of FindlayTiffin UniversityUnion Institute & UniversityUniversity of AkronUniversity of CincinnatiUniversity of Cincinnati-Raymond Walters CollegeUniversity of DaytonUniversity of Northwestern OhioUniversity of Rio GrandeUniversity of ToledoUniversity of Toledo Health Science CampusUrbana UniversityUrsuline CollegeWalsh UniversityWashington State Community CollegeWilmington CollegeWittenberg UniversityWright State UniversityXavier UniversityYoungstown State UniversityZane State College
- By State
- By City